The project complements the priorities proposed in the 2014-2020 NRDP related to fostering transfer of knowledge and innovation in agriculture, forestry and rural areas through measures to raise awareness and increase the training level of farmers in the management and environmental performance of the agricultural holding.
The project aims at increasing the competitiveness of small agricultural producers operating in the Romanian rural area, thus meeting the competitiveness and local development challenge described in the Partnership Agreement. SOLATIC contributes to achieving the specific objective 2.2 ” Increasing the contribution of the ICT sector to economic competitiveness”.
The project started from the premise that agriculture is one of the important economic sectors of Romania, which requires new approaches in order to be competitive in the EU economic context. According to the European Commission’s Factsheet on 2014-2020 Rural Development Programme for Romania, 87% of Romania’s territory is rural, and agricultural land covers 57%. Approximately one third of all farms in the EU are found in Romania, with some 3.9 million farm holdings, of which 93% are small farms practicing semi-subsistence agriculture based on traditional methods.
The SOLATIC project aims to develop, in partnership, within the “Lower Danube” ICT cluster in Galaţi, an innovative ICT-based solution for small farmers, which takes into consideration the following aspects:
– innovation and transfer of knowledge in agriculture;
– the competitiveness of small farmers and the sustainable development of the Romanian rural area;
– efficient use of resources in agriculture and combating climate change.
SOLATIC will significantly improve to the intensive agriculture practiced by small farmers by optimizing the use of chemicals and fertilizers, reducing soil and groundwater pollution caused by excessive use of chemicals, reducing water and energy consumption, and reducing the costs related to phytosanitary treatments.
– The resulting product will be cost-effective;
– The resulting product will be integrated and adaptable to the requirements of a wide range of users;
– The product will be plug-and- play and will not require advanced ICT knowledge for installation, commissioning, and operation;
– The resulting product will allow for the storage and exchange of data;
– The resulting product will promote a new business model in agriculture.
project developed in partnership with S.C. UGERG S.R.L. Galati